Table of Contents
- Benefits of Direct Mail for Any Industry
- Building Trust With Direct Mail for Banking & Credit Cards
- Forging Relationships With Direct Mail for Nonprofits
- Connecting at the Right Time With Direct Mail for Telecommunications
- Streamlining Operations With Direct Mail for Insurance
- Stoking Pass-Along Impressions With Direct Mail for Pharmaceuticals
- Reaching Patients & Providers With Direct Mail for Healthcare
If your business is not already using direct mail, it’s time to consider adding it to your marketing plan. Your competitors may already be utilizing it to connect with customers and expand their reach.
In one study, more than 60% of respondents using direct mail felt it had a better ROI and response rate than other channels. However, this powerful medium is one of the most underutilized weapons in a marketer’s arsenal. Achieving its maximum effect requires a clear understanding of the role of direct mail for your industry.
Get a Free Quote
Benefits of Direct Mail for Any Industry
Across all sectors, businesses stand to gain distinct advantages by implementing a direct mail campaign.
A few potential benefits include:
While recipients often delete emails quickly, direct mail marketing pieces can be passed along to a friend or coworker, hung on a wall, or left on a desk to consider more closely at a later date, thereby increasing the recipient’s exposure to your message.
Many potential customers take digital marketing with a grain of salt. After all, online scams are common, and clicking the wrong link can infect your system with malware. According to a survey by B2B and consumer marketing research institute Marketing Sherpa, 76% of recipients trust ads or catalogs they receive in the mail, while far fewer trust search engine ads, video ads, social media ads, online banner ads, and online pop-ups.
Targeting & Personalization
It’s no secret that successful marketing requires getting the right message to the right person at the right time, and direct mail is an ideal way to do that. Targeted mailing lists compile consumer data to take into account multiple factors, including age, income, location, interests, and more. With highly specific mailing lists, it’s much easier to get your message to your ideal potential client.
What’s more, mailings can be personalized at scale through variable data printing, enabling you to customize messages and imaging for individual recipients.
Direct mail offers unmatched design options. Not only can you select images, fonts, and mailer size based on your goals, you can also leverage textures, 3D objects, scratch-n-sniff options, and other creative features to make your mailing stand out.
Estimates suggest that direct mail has an average ROI of 29%. This is greater than paid search and online display.
Subscribe to Our Blog
Building Trust With Direct Mail for Banking & Credit Cards
Key Benefits of Using Direct Mail for Banking & Credit Cards
- Credibility: When money is on the line, consumers need to have full faith in your company. As one of the most trusted marketing mediums, direct mail can be the ideal channel for banking and credit card businesses.
- Customizability: The ability to personalize mailings enables you to target specific individuals based on set criteria, such as young adults who may be in the market for a student loan or retirement-age individuals looking to shore up their investments.
- Prescreening: If you want to market a loan or credit card, direct mail enables you to prescreen individuals so that only those who qualify will receive the offer.
Expert Tips on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Direct Mail for Banking & Credit Cards
- Target New Markets: Young adults present a unique opportunity for banks and credit card companies since many are in the market for college loans, credit cards, or other long-term relationships with financial institutions. While this generation tends to be internet savvy, direct mail can cut through the clutter.
- Focus on Life Stages: Which banking services customers need often corresponds directly to their life stages, so taking this into account with your direct mail campaign can get them the right message at the right time.
- Consider the Type of Mailer: Different varieties of direct mail are better suited to different situations. Postcards are the most budget-friendly, letters offer more copy space and privacy, and self-mailers balance impact and security.
Forging Relationships With Direct Mail for Nonprofits
Key Benefits of Using Direct Mail for Nonprofits
- Attention-Grabbing: The nonprofit space is crowded with worthy organizations vying for donations from a similar audience. Direct mail often grabs more attention than digital campaigns and increases brand awareness so that donors remember who you are.
- Trackability: You need measurable data to determine whether a donation drive succeeds. Direct mail is highly trackable through intelligent mail barcodes (IMbs), trackable phone numbers, trackable URLs, personalized URLs (PURLs), QR codes, and more, making it easier to calculate your ROI.
- Tactileness: Since recipients can touch and hold a mailing rather than merely looking at a message on a computer screen, it may create a more visceral connection with your mission.
Expert Tips on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Direct Mail for Nonprofits
- Maintain Good Mailing Lists: Since nonprofits rely on donations, connecting with the right recipients is critical. Organizations are well advised to maintain up-to-date mailing lists of current donors, lapsed donors, and prospects so that they can target each campaign to a specific group.
- Personalize Mailings: Across all industries, personalization enhances response rates. However, it is especially beneficial for nonprofits that rely on forging an emotional connection.
- Use Narrative Elements: Painting a picture through words and images can help inspire recipients to act by directly engaging them in the story of your organization’s mission.
Connecting at the Right Time With Direct Mail for Telecommunications
Key Benefits of Using Direct Mail for Telecommunications
- Brand Awareness: Customers often sign multi-year phone or cable contracts, so there’s limited opportunity for telecommunications companies to snag new clients. Building brand awareness and trust through direct mail before their existing contracts are up can be the key to ensuring they think of you when the time comes.
- Understandability: Phone and cable contracts can be confusing and overwhelming. A written explanation is often easier for a potential customer to understand and refer back to as needed.
- Continued Engagement: You can maintain contact with existing customers by offering them new services, products, or upgrades, or promoting new features. Not only can this be valuable for maintaining brand awareness, but it may also allow you to upsell.
Expert Tips on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Direct Mail for Telecommunications
- Use Lists Wisely: Telecommunications businesses can benefit immensely from targeted lists. For instance, if an individual moves to a new residence, they may be in the market for services. Similarly, existing customer lists should include their current services so that you know what additional options to promote.
- Ask Recipients to Call a Specified Number: Giving recipients a customer service number they can call to speak to a human makes it easier to close the deal or upsell additional services.
- Use Graphics: Using images to convey your brand, your product, and the lifestyle you support may help recipients imagine incorporating your services in their daily lives.
Streamlining Operations With Direct Mail for Insurance
Key Benefits of Using Direct Mail for Insurance
- Lead Cultivation: Insurance companies can use direct mail to generate specific types of leads to achieve distinct goals. Lead magnet requests (free booklets, free quotes, etc.) often produce the highest response rates, while appointment leads are usually better for conversion.
- Convenience: Between sending out policy paperwork, renewal information, quotes, and promotional materials, insurance agents and companies often produce a high volume of documents. Using direct mail makes this process convenient and efficient through automated processes.
- Measurability: Direct mail is highly measurable, so you can monitor lead growth, lead-to-close ratio, and other key metrics that may shape future campaigns.
Expert Tips on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Direct Mail for Insurance
- Personalize Mailings Based on Quality Lists: Every interaction with a potential client provides an opportunity to collect data about their needs, purchase methods, and existing policies. Leveraging this information can help insurance companies and agents maximize the effectiveness of their direct mail campaigns.
- Develop Your Brand: Even with quality lists, your recipient may not be in the market for a policy at the moment. However, strong branding with memorable imaging, logos, and messaging can leave an indelible impression that may influence insurance purchasing decisions down the road.
- Automate Responses: Insurance covers the things people hold near and dear, so it’s only natural that they may prefer a personal touch. Automating direct mail responses based on certain triggers (such as renewing a policy or requesting a quote) can add that human element without increasing your workload.
Stoking Pass-Along Impressions With Direct Mail for Pharmaceuticals
Key Benefits of Using Direct Mail for Pharmaceuticals
- Connecting With Patients & Providers: Pharmaceutical marketing straddles both B2C and B2B. Direct mail is a highly effective medium to reach both patients looking for treatment options and prescribers considering the best options for their patients.
- Shareable: Since direct mail provides a tangible object, recipients can pass it along, thereby spreading brand awareness. This means that physicians can share the mailing with others in their office and patients can bring it to their appointments to discuss your product with their doctors.
Expert Tips on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Direct Mail for Pharmaceuticals
- Promote a Lifestyle: The right pharmaceutical product can change lives, so using lifestyle images can help illustrate how it may affect day-to-day activities.
- Follow FDA Regulations: Drug ad regulations dictate rules about product claims, prescribing information, risk disclosure, and more. Staying in compliance can help you avoid costly penalties.
- Remain HIPAA Compliant: Any protected health information (PHI), including medical history and insurance information, must be kept private. When using related data for a mailing, sealed letters are therefore the method of choice over self-mailers or postcards.
Reaching Patients & Providers With Direct Mail for Healthcare
Key Benefits of Using Direct Mail for Healthcare
- High Trust Levels: Entrusting anyone with your health is a huge leap of faith. Thanks to the perceived trustworthiness of direct mail, it may be the ultimate platform to establish a strong relationship.
- Varying Privacy Levels: HIPAA places protections on PHI, so healthcare marketers must be careful with critical data. Sealed envelopes from a HIPAA-compliant direct mail partner can provide that critical privacy. However, for more generic messages, eye-catching postcards and self-mailers can stand out.
- Targetable: You can target direct mail recipients based on virtually any data set available, including age group, location, income, and other factors. This can help you reach key demographics who may be interested in your services.
Expert Tips on Maximizing the Effectiveness of Direct Mail for Healthcare
- Show Expertise: Whether you’re marketing to patients or providers, showing your expertise through the content of your direct mailing can help build your credibility.
- Personalize: Personalized direct mail is effective across industries, but it may be especially impactful in industries that revolve around caring, such as healthcare.
How Long Island’s Design Distributors Can Help You Craft a Compelling Direct Mail Campaign
Regardless of your industry, audience, and goals, Design Distributors can help deliver a successful direct mail campaign. As a full-service direct mail printing and mailing company, the Design Distributors team consists of mail production and distribution experts. In its more than 50 years of operations, Design Distributors has worked with both B2B and B2C companies across virtually every imaginable industry, including banking, nonprofits, telecommunications, insurance, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and so many more.
Our state-of-the-art equipment enables us to produce the highest-quality customized mailings at scale. Whether your mailing list includes a few hundred or a hundred thousand names, we can help you reach your target audience in a way that captures their full attention.